Watnall Hall

Demolished 1962. 

Was located about 1 mile south east of the village.

Pevsner (p135 footnote) describes it as having been "a fine brick building of c.1690 or 1700, the side of seven bays with the unusual two-bay projection left and right, the usual central door with segmental pediment (here carried on Ionic half-columns and broken over them at the sides), the usual modillion cornice and hipped roof... Fine contemporary interior with two panelled and pilastered rooms, pedimented doorcases, a staircase with one turned, two twisted, balusters per tread, and plster ceilings with naturalistic wreaths of fruit and flowers.  The iron gates, which were moved from the flight of steps in front of the house to the road entrance, have gone.  They were by far the best in Notts".

See JACKS, Leonard The Great houses of Nottinghamshire and the County Families  (Nottingham: W & A S Bradshaw, 1881) p.157

This page was added by Website Administrator on 25/10/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.