Flintham Hall

The original Medieval and Jacobean house was rebuilt in 1798 and enlarged by the architect Lewis Wyatt in 1829.

It was further remodelled by Nottingham architect T.C. Hine in 1853 when the distinctive Crystal Palace inspired conservatory was added.

On the north front Wyatt's plain two storey brick wings are still exposed and may still be seen facing the stable yard.  All other facades show Hine's encasement in stone with heavy Italianate details and balustrade along the roofline.

The west fron features a porte cochere beneath a square tower.

The south front features a projecting central bay with window of curious design.  To the right there is a two storey library wing.

The conservatory of 1853 - no doubt inspired by the central transcept of the Crystal Palace building in London's Hyde Park of two years previous - although at Flintham it is conventional walls (rather than iron and glass) which support the barrel-vaulted roof.



See JACKS, Leonard The Great houses of Nottinghamshire and the County Families  (Nottingham: W & A S Bradshaw, 1881) p.52

See Pevsner pp.129-130

This page was added by Website Administrator on 25/10/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.