Tuxford Village Lock-up

Photo:Tuxford lock-up

Tuxford lock-up

Copyright Robert Goulden and licensed for re-use under Creative Commons Licence

Lock-ups in Nottinghamshire

By Roy Pledger

Tuxford lock-up

The old lock-up is situated on the village green in Newcastle Street, Tuxford and bears a date stone 1823. It was once part of the village animal pound. It has been a Grade 11 listed building since 1985 (British Listed Buildings). The listing by English Heritage describes the building as follows:

'Lock-up. Dated 1823. Red brick, some stucco. Hipped pantile roof. Dog tooth eaves. Single storey. 3 bays. Central doorway, panelled iron door with single long hinge, under cambered arch. Either side are single recessed round arched blind panels, each with a single small circular opening with iron bars. Above the doorway is an oval stucco panel dated 1823'.

The BBC Nottingham History web site shows interesting photographs of the inside of the building where there are two cells with earth toilets as well as a separate area for use by the keeper who was probably the village doctor who lived opposite. According to Wikepedia an extension was added to the rear in 1884 to house the village fire engine but this appears to have been demolished.



This page was added by Roy Pledger on 30/09/2011.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.