Coddington Hall

Photo:Coddington Hall.  The east (garden) front

Coddington Hall. The east (garden) front

(Previously Beaconfield House)

Located near the junction of Beaconsfield (sic) Drive and Yew Tree Way.

As Beaconfield House it was the home of Thomas Spragging Godfrey, a local banker and Mayor of Newark in 1836.

In 1840 the house was sold to James Thorpe who began to make extensive improvements.  James Thorpe died in 1843 and the house was inherited by his son (also James).  It remained in the Thorpe family until 1918 when the estate was put up for sale.

On that occasion the hall with its 13 acres, lodge, woodlands and garden failed to sell, but it was later purchased by Tom Margerrison who divided the hall into two dwellings. 

During the Second World War the hall became an Officers' Quarters for Nearby RAF Winthorpe.

Coddington Hall was demolished in the 1960s.


This page was added by Website Administrator on 12/11/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.