FRENCH, Leonard [of Worksop]

Photo:Pte. L. French in the Borough of Worksop Roll of Honour of the Great War 1914 - 1918 (at Worksop Library)

Pte. L. French in the Borough of Worksop Roll of Honour of the Great War 1914 - 1918 (at Worksop Library)

Picture the Past image - Worksop Guardian, Sissons & Son Ltd.

Sherwood Foresters

Worksop Guardian 24 November 1916

 It is with regret that we have to record the death from wounds received in action of Pte,.Leonard French, Sherwood Foresters, the son of Mr and Mrs. John French of Sandy Lane , Worksop. It was stated in the “Guardian “ some weeks ago that Pte French had been severely wounded by shrapnel in the shoulder and left leg, and dangerously by a piece of the same shell which had gone through his buttock. This happened on July 14th, in the fighting during the beginning if the big push and Leonard was removed to a base hospital at Rouen. Later Mr. French received a telegram from the University War Hospital, Southampton, saying that his son had been admitted “dangerously wounded” and that a railway warrant had been sent on for his parents to go and see him. Mr. and Mrs., French made two journeys to Southampton after this one.  Later, the parents were informed that Leonard had been removed from the dangerously wounded list, and was improving, so that the best hopes were held for his recovery. This however, was not to be. He became worse and despite every effort to save him, he passed away on Nov. 14th, exactly four months after his wounds were received. Pte. French joined up in October, 1914, when seventeen years of age, and left England for France in Feb: of the following year, spending his 18th birthday at the front. Previous to becoming a soldier he was employed at Shireoaks Colliery. His body was brought over from Southampton for his funeral on Monday, and Mrs French was assured that full military honours would be accorded to her brave son, however this was not the case. The local military authorities did nothing, and it was left to the boy’s mother, (the father being ill) to get together four men in Khaki to act as bearers, so as well as bearing the sorrow arising from this sad time, she had to bear up and get done what should have been done by other’s in honour of a local boy who gave his life for his country. The first part of the service was taken in St. John’s Church, the Rev, W Langford officiating, and the body was laid to rest in the New Cemetery.


This page was added by Inspire Librarian on 26/08/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.