Farnsfield: Some Key Dates

Photo:Coronation festivities at Farnsfield

Coronation festivities at Farnsfield

It is unsure whether this picture shows festivities for the Corontion of Edward VIII in 1902 or George V in 1911

6th July 1794: “Brook called the Beck to be made deeper and wider to conduce to the healthiness of the town by drawing in the boggy & marshy ground”

7th April 1795: “Two men to be raised by Farnsfield, Edingley & Halam to serve in His Majesty’s Navy”

1796: Churchyard wall built at a cost of £8-8-10

4th April 1823: Purchase of four bell ropes £10-0-0

1805: Board showing donations and charities to be placed in the parish church

March 1827: Legacy of £20 to be spent on building a cottage at Sand Holes (parish land)

6th April 1855: Lanes to be let and money to go towards the Church expenses – instead of collecting a parish rate

1859-60: Restoration of Farnsfield Church cost £2762-5-3

12th February 1869: Vicar presented a piece of ground on the south side of the churchyard for use as an additional burial ground

31st January 1878: Upper and Lower Hexgreave cease to  be part of Southwell and are amalgamated with the parish of Farnsfield.   As a result the population of Farnsfield increases by 30

15th April 1879: Presentation to the church of a stained glass window at the East End of the North aisle by Thomas Parkinson (formerly of Hexgreave Park) in memory of his late wife

1880: A new church clock with two dials is installed – the gift of Rev. Whitelegge and his wife

1881 Census: Total population of Farnsfield 1045

1884: Farnsfield village pump and well sold by tender

17th September 1888: Rural Library closed.  Books sold by public auction and proceeds shared between the church school library and the Wesleyan school library to buy new books.  Total sum realised £13-18-11 1/2

1891: Developments in the church; Gift of cocoanut matting; Violet altar frontal given; Bells re-hung; Hot water heating system installed

1892: Gas lighting introduced in Farnsfield streets

1891-92: Church schools enlarged

1897: Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee celebrated in the village

 21st December 1897: Diamond Jubilee commemorated by the planting of an oak tree on open ground on the Mansfield Road

This page was added by Website Administrator on 25/06/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.